More on case insensitivity

Guy Gascoigne - Piggford ggp@informix.com
Thu May 22 19:25:00 GMT 1997

After more thinking about this there are quite a few places where the case
insensitivity of the file system rears it's ugly head.  What's worse they
can crop up fairly rarely, which means that I can forget to deal with them
wich leads to getting unexpected results every now and again.

e.g

Wildcard expansion in the shell would need to be case insensitive, having
to do things like:

ls *.[Zz][Ii][Pp]

simply to get this list becomes a pain.

Likewise programs such as find that do their own wildcard expansion
(perhaps they actually use the same library - I'm not sure, I don't have
the code here) also need to be made aware of this.  Again, this is a pain.

$ find -name "*.[Zz][iI][Pp]" -maxdepth 1
./Memoryan.zip
./Perf.zip
./SNIP9510.ZIP
./TABJAZZ.ZIP
./TABS.ZIP
./TCSAMP.ZIP
./TZ30.ZIP

I suspect that there are others as well.

Guy

--
Guy Gascoigne - Piggford (ggp@informix.com)
Software Engineer, Informix Software, Inc. (Portland, Oregon)

-