slightly off topic: gnu make and VC++

Fernandes, Hilton hfernandes@geocities.com
Sun Nov 9 23:45:00 GMT 1997

On  8 Nov 97 at 9:36, Ulrich Lauther <Ulrich.Lauther@mchp.siemens.de> wrote:

> Unnerved by VC++'s gui, I tried to convert a generated *.mak file
> to gnu make's syntax and to run make. This seems to work for generating
> objects, but in the link stage I get an anresolved extern "operator new()".
> link.exe seems to use some hidden libs, but I can't find out which ones.
> Can anybody help? Here is the link command and the error message (newlines
> inserted for readability):

> Ulrich Lauther          ph: +49 89 636 48834 fx: ... 636 42284
> Siemens ZT SE 4         Internet: Ulrich.Lauther@mchp.siemens.de

Hi, Ulrich!

MSVC has a very peculiar syntax, that i'm not familiar with.  You may be
instructing it to use a particular version of new().

No matter how uncomfortable, the VC GUI usually generates every option
correctly. So i guess an idea is to generate via GUI a simpler project, that
uses the same libs.  Then, try to compare its command line switches with yours.

I hope that can help you.

Regards,
++Hilton
----
Hilton Fernandes
hfernandes@geocities.com
http://www.geocities.com/SiliconValley/Lakes/5657
URLs and help on C++ programming and Object-Oriented Design
-