How about a _beginthread implementation of fork?

Chris Faylor cgf@bbc.com
Wed Nov 12 13:39:00 GMT 1997

In article < 199711120808.IAA08724@out4.ibm.net >,  <vischne@ibm.net> wrote:
>This is probably a naive approach, but is the following code an accurate
>representation of how to implement fork() using the Windows 95 RTL C
>library?  If so, how much effort would be needed to redo cygwin.dll so as
>to make fork() _not_ do anything to the cygwin environment?
>
>#include <stddef.h>
>#include <process.h>
>
>void __forker__(void *);
>unsigned long fork ()
>{
>/* Possible code for getting the return address of the fork() caller: */
>	return _beginthread((_USERENTRY (*)(void *))forker,
>			4096, (void *)NULL);
>}
>
>void __forker__ (void *threadno)
>{
>/* Possible code for inserting the return address of the fork() caller: */
>	return 0;
>}

This is a naive approach.  It does not, in any way, duplicate the functionality
of fork.  Sorry.

A forked process on UNIX runs as a separate process and does not share the
address space of the initiating process (unless we're talking about vfork
which is slightly different).  Once a forked process has been started
it is a separate entity which can open new file handles and make changes
to memory without affecting the parent.

None of this is true for threads.  And, think about it for a second.
A lot of people have worked on the cygwin code.  Don't you think that it
is very likely that one of them would have stumbled across threads as
a mechanism for duplicating fork functionality if it was this trivially
easy?
--
http://www.bbc.com/	cgf@bbc.com			"Strange how unreal
VMS=>UNIX Solutions	Boston Business Computing	 the real can be."