cygwin and the GIMP

Earnie Boyd earnie_boyd@hotmail.com
Mon Apr 6 17:20:00 GMT 1998

Hi Alexander,

>Date: 26 Mar 1998 18:01:09 -0000
>From: "Alexander Stockdale" <astockdale@computer.org>
>Subject: cygwin and the GIMP
>
>I have been making good progress getting the GIMP working under cygwin
>but I'm having some problems related to child processes.  GIMP plug-ins
run as
>a forked process, through the use of execvp().  The GIMP waits on the
>completion of the child process, but for some reason it is not
detecting the
>termination of the child process.  This does not seem to be a problem
when
>running within gdb.  Any thoughts, or information on execvp() would be
helpful.

Here's a question to the cygwin community:  Will the child process
inherit the signal handling setup by the parent as it does in UNIX or
will the child NOT inherit signal handling as it does in WIN32?

Does SIGCHLD really work or is it just a stub?

>Also, anyone have any idea how to gdb a child process?  I just get
messages about not
>being able to read core files.  I've tried attaching several different
ways.  It would be
>nice if the executables could be compiled so that gdb would be invoked
on startup.
>-

Would this work?:

Say I have a program named "a.exe" which executes "b.exe" and I want to
debug "b.exe".  Now if I rename "b.exe" to "dbg-b.exe" and I create a
script named "b" that executes "gdb dbg-b.exe" when I execute "b" from
"a" it would execute the script that would execute "gdb dgb-b.exe".

This is hypothetical as I haven't tried it; but, it has the potential to
do what you want.

-        \\||//
---o0O0--Earnie--0O0o----
-earnie_boyd@hotmail.com-
------ooo0O--O0ooo-------

Check out these great gnu-win32 related sites:
ftp://ftp.cygnus.com/pub/gnu-win32/latest/                  (ftp site)
http://www.cygnus.com/pubs/gnupro/                    (Comercial Page)
http://www.cygnus.com/misc/gnu-win32/                   (Project Page)
http://www.cygnus.com/ml/gnu-win32                     (Mail Archives)
http://www.itribe.net/virtunix/winhelp-man-pages/     (HTML Man Pages)
http://www.lexa.ru/sos                               (Sergey Okhapkin)
ftp://www.lexa.ru/pub/domestic/sos/                (Sergey's ftp site)
http://www.fu.is.saga-u.ac.jp/~colin/gcc.html           (Colin Peters)
http://www.xraylith.wisc.edu/~khan/software/gnu-win32/    (Mumit Khan)
http://gnu-win32.paranoia.ru                   (Chuck Bogorad's ports)
http://www.bestweb.net/~aka/gnu-win32/  (GNU-Win32 Bash Configuration)
http://rcw.home.ml.org/                  (Rob Warner - software ports)
http://www.wenet.net/~garbanzo/gnuwin32/     (more - software portals)
http://www.wenet.net/~garbanzo/gnuwin32/rpm   (Redhat Package Manager)
http://www.parallax.co.uk/~andyp/index_text.html  (Andy Piper - ports)
http://www.tiac.net/users/cgf     (Christopher Faylor - package ports)
ftp://ftp.franken.de/pub/win32/develop/gnuwin32/       (German mirror)

SEARCH ENGINES WITH gnu-win32 mail archive RELATED INDICIES:
http://www.progressive-comp.com/Lists/?l=gnu-win32&r=1&w=2#gnu-win32
http://www.findmail.com
http://www.search.com
add gnu-win32 or gnuwin32 to the search criteria.

Help for Win32 Beginners: http://www.relisoft.com