Gzip vs Unix's Compress - 2GB file size on Sun Solaris

Michael Hirmke mh@mike.franken.de
Wed Apr 8 06:20:00 GMT 1998

Hi Muli,

>hi,
>
>Recently I have tested Compress vs Gzip 1.2.4 on Sun Solarais 2.5.1.
>I have faced a strange results: while Compress shrinked the 2GB File
>into 160MB file within 10 minutes, gzip needed 51 minutes to compress
>the file to 130MB. Using gzip -1 leaded to only a bit better result of
>20 minutes compression time.
>
>Is it due to a different compression algorithem? Do you prefer, indeed,
>using Compress while on Unix?

IMHO this depends on the type of file you are trying to compress/gzip.
And yes, they use slight variations of the same compression algorithm.
Both use "Lempel-Ziv coding".

>thanks

Bye.
Michael.
--
Michael Hirmke           | Telefon +49 (911) 557999
Georg-Strobel-Strasse 81 | FAX     +49 (911) 557664
-