FW: Special Filenames AUX, CON, etc.

Larry Hall lhall@rfk.com
Sun Apr 12 10:52:00 GMT 1998

Hm, this is interesting.  I can see there was actually a little confusion
about my previous statement.  The MS doc claims that "\\?\" syntax can be
used on NT in addition to, optionally, UNC to override path length
limitations.  The doc reads:

Windows NT: You can use paths longer than MAX_PATH characters by calling the wide (W) version of CreateFile and prepending “\\?\” to the path. The “\\?\” tells the function to turn off path parsing. This lets you use paths that are nearly 32,000 Unicode characters long. You must use fully-qualified paths with this technique. This also works with UNC names. The “\\?\” is ignored as part of the path. For example, “\\?\C:\myworld\private” is seen as “C:\myworld\private”, and “\\?\UNC\tom_1\hotstuff\coolapps” is seen as “\\tom_1\hotstuff\coolapps”.

This is a little different issue than what we were discussing and indicates
that this particular syntax and functionality is NT specific.  However, the
"\\?\" syntax is NOT the same as UNC syntax, as clarified by the above doc.
The interesting thing to me is that Mikey found that UNC paths did not
seem to allow him to access the special case file names (nul in this case) on
win95b as others have implied.  Have others tried this?  Does this not work
on 95?  I've heard reports that it works somewhere.  Was that just on NT?

RFK Partners, Inc.                      (781) 239-1053
8 Grove Street                          (781) 239-1655 - FAX
Wellesley, MA  02181                    http://www.rfk.com

-