Small request...

Peter Dalgaard BSA p.dalgaard@biostat.ku.dk
Wed Apr 15 07:31:00 GMT 1998

Jimen Ching <jimen@adtech-inc.com> writes:

> I see many people opposing these requests, but I have yet to see a good
> reason why it shouldn't be done.  Just because there are alternatives doesn't
> mean it is a bad idea.  Second of all, filtering on 'Sender', 'To' and/or
> 'CC' doesn't always work because some people use aliases for the mailing
> list address.  If you filter gnu-win32@cygnus.com, you will miss these
> messages.  Adding a keyword in the subject line in all messages distributed
> by the mailing list will guarantee that the filter will trap it.
>
> Why is it bad to 'bung up' the subject line?  What's so special about a
> subject line that you shouldn't 'bung it up'?

Point one:

        ("mail.gnuwin32" "^Return-Path: <.*gnu-win32.*@cygnus.com>")

has filtered all list traffic correctly for months. And the wildcards
haven't been necessary since last September. (It switched from
gnu-win-owner32 to owner-gnu-win32 at that point in time).

Point two:

Several mail agents use a layout like the following
!  [  62: Jan-Jaap van der Hei] Re: [ANNOUNCE] mingw32 GCC 2.8.0 based toolcha

Now imagine what happens if the subject line starts with

[GNUWIN32] Re: [GNUWIN32] Re: [GNUWIN32] Re: [ANNOUNCE] Humble mumble

All we'll see is

[GNUWIN32] Re: [GNUWIN32] Re: [GNUWIN32] Re:

~~~~~~~~~~ - (p.dalgaard@biostat.ku.dk)             FAX: (+45) 35327907

-