Mingw32 compiled executables under bash

Earnie Boyd earnie_boyd@yahoo.com
Wed Apr 29 13:13:00 GMT 1998

Hi Kevin,

I'm using extensively the mingw32 compiler supplied by JanJaap.  I
have egcs 1.0.2 but haven't given much time to it yet.  I'm trying to
release a mingw32 supplement package that will aid in porting UNIX
code to native win32.  I hope to announce sometime in May it's
availability.

If your running under bash then set the CYGWIN32 with notty.  I have
mine set like this "SET CYGWIN32=notty nobinmode notitle".

The cygnus version of make will work in MSDOS mode.  If your makefile
has forward slashes "/" in the path structure and uses the colon ":"
as the path delimiter you must "SET MAKE_MODE=unix", otherwise it
MAKE_MODE must not be set.

I did notice the differences in operation with version b18 of bash,
but haven't noticed it with version b19 of bash and the CYGWIN32 set
with notty.

-        \\||//
---o0O0--Earnie--0O0o----
--earnie_boyd@yahoo.com--
------ooo0O--O0ooo-------

PS: I've found with Mingw32 "text!=binary" works really well.
PPS: The use of the "/" slash as a directory delimiter is only a
limitation imposed by cmd.exe/command.com and is not a limitation
imposed by the called functions.
PPPS: The default open mode for reading a file will read both \n and
\r\n without concern.  The default open mode for writing a file will
always write \r\n.

---Kevin Hughes <kh@wg.icl.co.uk> wrote:

> I have tried to use some executables compiled with a mingw32 version
of egcs ( supplied by Mumit Khan) but don't
> appear to get the output from the program. The same program compiled
using the cygwin version of the same compiler
> works fine. Any ideas?
>
> I also get a little problem trying to get the mingw32 compiler to
give me the cpp output when running under bash - it doesn't.