ANNOUNCE: cygwin `ldd' script

Gary V. Vaughan gvaughan@oranda.demon.co.uk
Thu Dec 10 19:02:00 GMT 1998

Attached is an all singing, all dancing ldd-a-like for cygwin.  Do with
it what you will, perhaps add it to the ftp.franken.de repository?

I might convert some more of the functionality from cygcheck in a few
weeks, once I have libtool fixed to build dlls.

Thanks again Mumit for the response:

Mumit Khan wrote:

> On Wed, 9 Dec 1998, Gary V. Vaughan wrote:
>
> > Ahh.. I didn't know dll's could depend on one another.  Are these
> > dependencies encoded into the dependee by cygwin's ld at linktime?
>
> It's the same as on other Unix systems, where shared libraries can
> have dependencies as well (the win32 dll architecture is of various
> quite different from the various flavors of Unix shlibs, but it's the
> same basic idea).

I see.  It appears (by experiment!) that the final link of win32 dll
does indeed list the other link-time dlls in the .idata section of the
resulting library.  Dll's are less brain-damaged than I had thought
after all =)O|

> Few comments
>
> - absolute pathname may not work as is (eg., ``ldd /bin/sh.exe'')

You're right.  Fixed in the attached version.

> - You do need to sort out duplicates

Right again.  I fixed this too.

> - the path search is confusing. for example, let's say I have a file
>   called foo.exe in my current working directory (which is not in my
>   path), and a file called foo.exe in my PATH. Now if I do:
>
>     $ ldd foo.exe
>
>   it picks up the one in the PATH instead of the one in the current
>   directory!

I think this is how it should work.  In the circumstance you describe
above, if I typed `foo.exe' to my bash prompt, I would expect the
foo.exe found in my $PATH to run.

I have changed the dll lookup (after an exe is found) to look in the
executables directory, the current working directory and then to search
the PATH.  Despite what I said about choosing an executable file to
run,  I assume the win32 runtime loader will search for dlls as you
describe, regardless of the shell being used.

> Hope I read the algorithm correctly -- don't have a windows
> machine to test it out.

Yup, fine.  It is a little clearer in the new version I hope =)O|

>   You *may* need to extend the search path to include the default
>   search path for win32 DLLs (different for win9x and NT), including
>   the directory containing executable as well as the current working
>   directory.

How do I find what these are?  I have /WINNT/System32 and /WINNT put in
my path by either bash or the NT kernel... are these the directories you
mean?

> Regards,
> Mumit

Many thanks for taking the time to look at this.  I hope to roll this
(and the rest of the required bits) into CVS libtool in the next week or
two -- with luck libtool-1.3 should be able to build dll's when it is
released [RSN =)O|]

Cheers,
	Gary.
#! /bin/sh
#  -*- Mode: Sh -*-
# ldd --- an unix ldd(1) work-alike for cygwin
#