GetFreeDiskSpaceEx and df(1)

Andrew Sharp andy@accrue.com
Tue Jul 14 21:52:00 GMT 1998

I tried to send this to the original poster of this message, but it
bounced so I guess I'll send it to the general list.

I found this on the searchable cygnus archives...

I too have written a df
substitute, as I have mucho code (perl and C) that I am porting to NT
which calls df.  However, the brain dead Win95 version GetFreeDiskSpace
function wouldn't cut it for me, so I am using the Ex function, which
means I can't get it to compile under the cygwin tools (b19.1/NT), and
was forced to
compile it with dev studio.  It takes any argument that unix df does and
returns the space for that partition or defaults to the C:\ partition.
It's output will parse correctly by any reasonable perl or C routine
that already parses the unix df(1) command output. Any further news on
adding the Ex version to the cygnus stuff?  Any pointers on where I
could find a writeup on how I could do that myself (I'm a complete
cygnus newbie)?  I saw a couple of things in a faq that might or might
not be relevant, but at least one assumed knowledge of things I don't
know about, like "make a dummy LibMain" whatever that means.  If there
is a specific sequence of steps to add Win32 functions to cygnus' .a
files, I would be happy to spend a couple of hours getting it done.  I
don't know why this one was skipped, but I guess there's a lot of
them...and only so many hours in a day....

Thanks in advance,

> Ok, I've finally put together something I've wished for, for quite a
> while now. All I've seen in a df command, was one from virtunix, and
> didn't have any real flexibility, nor the usual gnu-df look I've been
> used to for years. So, I made one.
>
> This isn't a port of GNU's df. I just too the man page, and
> implemented the same functions and look of it.
>
> The only things it doesn't do (yet) are 1) df /tmp - check the space
> on one particular partition, and 2) it's limited to partitions less
> than 2 gigs. I'll have to see about converting Win95 OSR2's
> kernel.dll into libkernel32.a to get the updated GetFreeDiskSpaceEx()
> function

Reporting-MTA: dns; clutch.accrue.com
Received-From-MTA: DNS; seatbelt.accrue.com
Arrival-Date: Tue, 14 Jul 1998 16:13:40 -0700 (PDT)

Final-Recipient: RFC822; kunglao@prairienet.org
Action: failed
Remote-MTA: DNS; coneflower.prairienet.org
Diagnostic-Code: SMTP; 550 <kunglao@prairienet.org>... User unknown
Last-Attempt-Date: Tue, 14 Jul 1998 16:13:42 -0700 (PDT)