To use or _NOT_ to use InstallShield?

Robertson, Jason V jason.v.robertson@intel.com
Fri May 8 20:52:00 GMT 1998

I haven't checked myself if it currently does this for cdk.exe, but you
can make InstallShield print a list of what it's done.  I really don't
see any problem with using it personally.  I don't see a problem with
running winzip on a tar.gz file, either.

Either way works fine, but since everyone knows how to run cdk.exe and
not everyone knows winzip will handle .tar.gz files or everyone may not
even have winzip I see no reason not to use InstallShield.  Plus with
InstallShield you can add registry stuff if necessary.  I think
applications should be smart enough to do this on their own at runtime
if neccessary, though.  That way you can dump it on a client workstation
and it works with no installation hassles.

Anyway, I can't think of a single convincing argument not to use
InstallShield if it's done right.

Jason