Linux or Cygwin?

N8TM@aol.com N8TM@aol.com
Sat Oct 31 06:26:00 GMT 1998

In a message dated 10/30/98 9:23:25 PM Pacific Standard Time,
alsolaim@bobcat.ent.ohiou.edu writes:

> Hi every one;
>  I am new to Cygwin and Linux, but I have to work on some Unix based
software,
>  which one should I install on my PC Cygwin or Linux?
>
>  Thank you ..
>  Ahmad
If you can't decide, set up a dual boot system.  Linux is a more Unix-like
environment and supports more "Unix based" software. cygwin32 is coming along
very well, even to the extent of supporting self-hosting of the egcs-compiler
suite.  The two things I want for software development which work very well in
linux and not at all in cygwin32 are gprof and struct (an old Unix fortran
structuring tool).  X comes automatically with linux; it's still in more of a
developmental phase with cygwin32.  In my experience, for
stability/reliability, linux of course comes first, followed by W9X, with NT
coming in last.
-