Window Managers + XFree under '98.

Joe Stewart gnu@httptech.com
Wed Sep 9 02:55:00 GMT 1998

On Mon, 7 Sep 1998 14:43:26 -0500 (CDT), you wrote:

>Hello,
>
>I was wondering if it was possible to load an alternative window manager
>under windows after successfully getting XFree compiled, and already
>having a Windows XServer installed on the system.  I already have a few
>window managers successfully compiled under cygwin32, but cannot run them
>because it says there is already a window manager running (Windows I'm
>assuming), has anybody ever here ever actually replaced the interface?

You didn't say which X-server you are using, but if it's the MicroImages X
server, you can just go to the Mix_95 directory (or wherever you installed it)
and run Xs.exe and it will run window manager-less.

The start menu shortcut for MIX points to Tntstart.exe which starts the defaulr
Window Manager, twm.

I have been able to run fvwm2 under MIX, but I'm getting more ambitious now...

Has anyone been able to compile and run any other non-standard window managers
on gnu-win32 like KDE, Gnome or Afterstep?
I've made an attempt at KDE but I'm running into problems before I even get
there, trying to compile the Qt library it requires.

Any other experiences out there?

-Joe
-