I: gcc ... -U_WIN32 ... may cause problems

Geoffrey Noer noer@cygnus.com
Wed Sep 9 19:41:00 GMT 1998

On Wed, Sep 02, 1998 at 04:28:19PM -0500, Mumit Khan wrote:
[...]
> I think you are confusing the term "Microsoft specifc predefined macros"
> with "these macros are only defined for Microsoft compilers". I've plucked
> 3 out of the list, and 2 of those are defined by *every* C++ compiler
> for W95/NT.
>
> The only MS compiler specific macro among these 3 is _MSC_VER, which GNU
> does not and will not define.

This is (and was) my interpretation as well.  Since both Cygwin32 and
Mingw32 configs have access to the Win32 API, I believe both should
define _WIN32.

I would be ok with adding "-Dunix" when the Cygwin32 config is being
used if that would help people.

--
Geoffrey Noer
noer@cygnus.com