Q: X-Server Info

Parker, Ron rdparker@butlermfg.org
Fri Sep 11 00:15:00 GMT 1998

I don't know about mixing an X Server and a Window Manager
from two different products.  However, I have used a number of
commercial
X-Servers with Window Manager that I have compiled from source off of
the net.

Some servers have configuration settings that allow you to turn off
their
default window manager.  With the MiX-NT server I was even able to
create
a symlink from their server to /usr/X11R6.3/bin/xs(?) and use the startx
script.

-----Original Message-----
From: mh@mike.franken.de [ mailto:mh@mike.franken.de ]
Sent: Saturday, September 05, 1998 5:28 PM
To: gnu-win32@cygnus.com
Subject: Re: Q: X-Server Info

Hi,

>My setup on my NT4 SP3 system as provided by my company includes Lan
>Workplace Pro (Novell), which includes an X-server.  Presumably, I can
use
>this in support of all the X-client stuff available from
dao.gsfc.nasa.gov.

>My questions are:  (a) is this presumption true, and (b)if so, does
anyone

Jepp.

>know how to go about setting things up so that the Novel xserver will
use a
>windows manager from the dao distribution instead of from the Novell
>Distribution.  (The Novell on line help for 'advanced users' has
>description of a set of mouse clicks in Novell dialog boxes.)   I know

I strongly suspect, that you can't mix an X Server and a Window Manager
from two different products as you can easily do on Unix systems.
In many case X Server and Window Manager are in fact the same
executable.

[...]
>Thanks,
>
>John Velman

Bye.
Michael.
--
Michael Hirmke           | Telefon +49 (911) 557999
Georg-Strobel-Strasse 81 | FAX     +49 (911) 557664
-