bash hangs win95

Stephen L Arnold sarnold@coyote.rain.org
Sat Sep 12 11:58:00 GMT 1998

On 11 Sep 98,,  Dr. G. Scott Lett had questions about bash hangs
win95:

> Has there been any resolution to the problem of bash hanging the system on
> win95? I've seen reports about this problem occurring after the user 1)
> types an unrecognized command or 2) Types control-C.  There are reports at
> the Argonne National Lab web sites that the latter problem makes bash
> unusable in gnu-win32. I must agree, as I've fallen victim a couple of
> times.

It doesn't hang on my OSR2 install (Cyrix 200L, 75 MHz bus).  It
did initially, but I installed the coolview .DLL and Mumit's EGCS
replacement.  I also created a HOME environment variable, and
borrowed someone's .bashrc (and modified it).  Everything seems to
work fine now (if windoze can ever be called "fine").  At least, it
works great for my cheesy little homework problems (but we haven't
had to code anything substantial yet either :-)

Have you done all of the above?  If memory serves me, it *did* hang
right after I first installed it, but if you just wait (rather than
trying to kill the task) it should come back after a minute or two.

Hope this helps, Steve