cd'ing to a shortcut

Theodore Jump tjump@cais.com
Wed Sep 16 21:23:00 GMT 1998

>In my home, I added a shortcut to a directory that I use a lot.
>How can I change to it from bash?  When I cd to the shortcut name,
>it tells me that I have no right.  Here is the full screen:

I don't believe that Cygwin can follow MS Windows Explorer Shortcuts (*.lnk
files) yet; that it doesn't read them to interpret what they are a shortcut to
- in other words, it sees it as a regular file and thus that is why you can't
"cd" into it.

This would, IMHO, be a useful addition but should not (IMHO again) be used as a
replacement for the current softlink emulation.  I believe this because the
.LNK files would then have to be used to softlink to "Cygwin" paths that may or
may-not be valid under native Win32 non-Cygwin applications (like Explorer).