Permissions?

john_r_velman@mail.hac.com john_r_velman@mail.hac.com
Tue Sep 22 19:41:00 GMT 1998

     Can someone point me to an explanation of how Cygwin handles
     permissions, and -- specifically -- how I can get root permission?

     I just ran a-foul of trying to configure a package where configure
     tests to see if it can find the sources by testing for a certain file
     to be readable.  It turned out that this particluar package had a lot
     of permissions set to -rw-r-----.    Probably this is the case in a
     number of directories as well as a lot of files in this directory.

     I could try changing all permissions in all directories with find, but
     it would be a lot cleaner to be able to do an su like I do on my Linux
     box.

     And by the way, how does Cygwin know what the permisions are, anyhow?
     It appears that this has little if anything I can find in explorer
     file properties.

     Thanks,

     John Velman
     jrvelman@mail.hac.com