newbie: TERM=dumb unknown

Yves Bossel ybossel@bolchile.cl
Tue Sep 29 21:47:00 GMT 1998

Hello,

I have checked:

/etc/termcap exists and its rights are set to rwrr
I have executed 'export TERM=linux' (also tried with ansi) and get the same answer:
TERM=linux unknown

Note that I have no termcap or ncurses executable (and I don't know what they are for).

Thanks

Hello Yves, you wrote:
>When I try to run a program that runs ok under windows, I following message:
>TERM=dumb unknown
>
>example:
>bash-2.01$ /archiv~1/elvis/elvis
>TERM=dumb unknown
Is there an /etc/termcap? What does your TERM environment variable
look like? Is it set? Anyway you should set TERM=linux and copy the
supplied termcap to /etc or mount the directory containing termcap on
/etc.
--
bye, Michael
-