AS/400 QOpenSys ln support

John Mullee john@exmachina.net
Thu Apr 15 17:29:00 GMT 1999

"Igor A. Walter" wrote:
> I'm using CygWin B20 to access the QOpenSys file system on an AS/400, it's a kind of Unix FS emulation. (For more on the AS/400 IFS, http://publib.boulder.ibm.com:80/cgi-bin/bookmgr/BOOKS/QB3AUH02/5.3 )

It's not clear from your mail or the docs whether the IFS driver on the
PC is
ported C code or some native thing from IBM.
If the driver provides POSIX linking capabilities, then either:
  - cygwin could be modified to detect and exploit the proprietary
driver, or
  - if the proprietary driver appears to windows to be an NTFS volume,
then
    the cygin dll could be modified to use Microsoft NTFS/POSIX links.
The problem is that currently, cygwin links use special files, not POSIX
links,
even on NTFS (which supports links).
I guess the rationale is that this will work on dos/w95/w98 volumes too.
Does your PC OS support NTFS, and therefore the POSIX linking api?
(hint: only NT does)
look at

http://publib.boulder.ibm.com:80/cgi-bin/bookmgr/BOOKS/QB3AUH02/5.10.2.2?ACTION=MATCHES &REQUEST=qopensys&TYPE=FUZZY&searchTopic=TOPIC&searchText=TEXT&searchIndex=INDEX&rank=RANK#FIRSTHIT

john