B20.1: problem with make and multiple absolute targets

David Wilson David.Wilson@MessagingDirect.com
Tue Aug 17 10:38:00 GMT 1999

We have found a problem with B20.1 make (GNU 3.75 port) for which we can find
no workaround. The problem arises when one has a multiple target dependency
and some of the file names start with '/'. This is in UNIX mode.

Here is a simple Makefile that exhibits the problem:

	all: file1 /file2

	file1 /file2:
		echo $@

If the '/' is removed from the front of file2 in both cases, the result is as
expected. No problem is found with GNU make 3.75 built on Solaris.

The output from make -p seems to indicate that the space + '/' results in
names being paired. So, with

	/file1 /file2 /file3 /file4:
		echo $@

you get references to

	/file1 /file2:
		echo $@

	/file3 /file4:
		echo $@

in the make -p output.

I see evidence of GMU make 3.77 ports for the Cygnus environment. Where can
one get these from? For our purposes make only needs to operate in UNIX mode,
and //c/... type names are not required.

David Wilson                          David.Wilson@MessagingDirect.com
MessagingDirect Ltd.                             Tel: +44 181 332 9091
http://www.messagingdirect.com                   Fax: +44 181 332 9019