New snapshots and old binaries

Charles S. Wilson cwilson@ece.gatech.edu
Sun Aug 29 12:06:00 GMT 1999

I want to update my cygwin environment to the newer snapshots, for two
reasons:

1) to make sure that perl5.6(pre) will build and execute properly with
cygwinB21(pre) while there's still time to fix perl5.6 / cygwinB21.
2) to use Sergey's port of ssh-2.0.13

My question:

If I do switch over to the newer snapshots, by unpacking cygwin-inst-*
over my current setup and fixing gcc-2.95 using Mumit's
gcc-2.95-dev-ss.tar.gz, how badly will this break my cygwin environment?
(I know that the i586-cygwin32 directory has changed its name to
i586-pc-cygwin32, but that's fairly minor from a user perspective).

I have Arlindo daSilva's X11 libs (for B20) installed, Andy Piper's
/usr/local (for B20), gcc-2.95, Sergey's remote package, libmysql,
msql-2.0.5, and a number of binaries that I have compiled against B20.1.

Will I need to recompile ALL of these libraries and executables before
my system returns to "normal", or what?

--Chuck