Make quoted strings problem running from cmd.exe...

Earnie Boyd earnie_boyd@yahoo.com
Tue Aug 31 23:49:00 GMT 1999

--- Kevin Hill <kevin_hill@bigfoot.com> wrote:
> I guess what I really need to do is rebuild CMD.EXE with the Cygwin
> toolkit!!! Wonder whether I can get the source code.

Wonder if the Freedows work is still alive?  Did they get as far as CMD.EXE?

> If I cannot rebuild CMD.EXE, is there anything I can do in the make
> syntax to get it to put things in the way I need them to be for standard
> NT executables? Any guesses? As mentioned before, when there are no
> quotes on the command line, GNUmake outputs stuff differently from when
> there is, as demonstrated below. However, when running the
> Cygwin-compiled shell, it appears the same. It must, however, be doing
> something different, mustn't it, or is the change in fact in the C
> runtime itself. Now I am confused.
>
> Can anyone help out here?

Yes, the runtimes are different.  Therefore, you get different results.

If you want your program to do what you want, then you'll have to quote the
quotes as I've told you before.  E.G.: MyProg -i ^"This Should Work^" or \"This
Should Work\".  You might want to check out an appropriate MS news group or
visit the MSDN to get more info on quoting with the DOS/WIN32 runtimes.

===
Earnie Boyd < mailto:earnie_boyd@yahoo.com >

Newbies, please visit
< http://www.freeyellow.com/members5/gw32/index.html >

(If you respond to the list, then please don't cc me)