Give-me your opinion please

Geraldo Lopes precisa@altavista.net
Fri Dec 3 16:39:00 GMT 1999

Geraldo Lopes wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I want to develop a portable application that will run in Windows and
> Linux. I've choosed the database (mysql), but I don't know how I'm going
> to build interface .
>
> I doesn't matter if it is going to be character based or graphical. Here
> in Brazil there are many DOS programs in the market, in fact, in my
> niche the good programs are written to DOS. I'm worried about
> productivity and portability. My background is Turbo Pascal, Delphi,
> Windows and as you can see I'm new to C++ world, but I can't wait until
> Borland make Delphi for Linux to have a linux application.
>
> I want to hear your opinion about what library I should use. This is
> crucial to my project, and in my city (and many cities around) there
> isn't any kind of unix application development under way, therefore I
> highly depend on the support of this list.
>
> Thanks in advance, and sorry my english
>
> Geraldo Lopes de Souza
>
> --

Hi,

Strange. Since I posted this message in this list, I've got no answer to my
question (Which Library I should use to build interface), but I got at least
three messages saying Try Python, Try Java, Try Free Pascal, Try Tcl Tk
(Thanks to all answers)

Python and Java are slow. Free Pascal is good but the community is small and
It doen't have the libraries to access MySql or to construct a character
based interface.

Personally I dont't like C, but since I 've downloaded the Thinking in C++
book and read some Bjarne papers I discovered that C++ is very different
from C.

I've donwloaded the MySql++ Library to access MySql. It looks good and well
designed.

I just need to know some portable library to build interface. Character
based or graphic (my preference is character). I know one graphic library :
wxWindows. Are you using wxWindows with CygWin. What are your impressions ?.

Are there an Object Oriented wrapper around ncurses ?.  Are there any other
way to get portability in character based applications ?

Thanks in advance

Geraldo Lopes de Souza