Repeat - X applications only work for Administrator

Charles S. Wilson cwilson@ece.gatech.edu
Fri Dec 31 13:28:00 GMT 1999

Chris Faylor wrote:

> On Wed, Dec 01, 1999 at 10:49:38AM -0500, Charles S. Wilson wrote:
> >

> >Charles McKnight wrote:
> >>
> >> Charles,
> >>
> >> If you've got NT4SP6, you'll need to get NT4SP6a or the patch for NT4SP6 to
> >> fix the Winsock-related problems.  =
> >>
> >> Patch:
> >> http://download.microsoft.com/download/winntsp/Patch/afd.sys/NT4/EN-US/Q245678i.exe
> >>
> >> Full Release:
> >>    http://www.microsoft.com/ntserver/nts/downloads/recommended/SP6/allSP6.asp
> >>
> >> Hope this helps.
> >>
> >> Chuck McKnight
> >>
> >That fixed the problem. Thanks!
>
> Does this mean that it's safe to use NT4SP6?  Does it work with VNC now?
>
> cgf

Well, that's the wierd thing. I've been using VNC server on the SP6
system for a while now. It never complained. I had the server running on
the NT box, and was viewing the NT desktop from a unix-VNC client.
'Course, I was port-forwarding through a firewall using SSH, so that may
have made a difference?

remote unix client:
ssh -f +C -c blowfish -S -L 5901:my_nt_box_behind_firewall:5900
my_linux_firewall
vncveiwer -encodings "copyrect hextile" localhost:1

my_linux_firewall:
running sshd, I have a login account

my_nt_box_behind_firewall:
NT4 SP6 (now running SP6a but haven't tried this again since 6->6a)
running vnc server

--Chuck