'new' broken in 2-95.2

Earnie Boyd earnie_boyd@yahoo.com
Fri Dec 31 13:28:00 GMT 1999

--- Chris Faylor <cgf@cygnus.com> wrote:
> On Wed, Dec 15, 1999 at 06:59:56PM -0600, Mumit Khan wrote:
> >On Wed, 15 Dec 1999, Norman Vine wrote:
> >> The last couple of times I have installed cygnus
> >> with gcc-2.95.2 I have gotten this troubling
> >> error

/c/CYGNUS/CYGWIN~1/H-I586~1/BIN/../lib/gcc-lib/i586-cygwin32/2.95.2/include/new.
> >> h:6: new: Permission denied
> >>
> >> It is easily solved ( hacked ) by changing

c:\cygnus\cygwin-b20\H-i586-cygwin32\lib\gcc-lib\i586-cygwin32\2.95.2\include\new.h
> >> line 6
> >> //#include <new>
> >> #include "new"
> >>
> >> but I am wondering what else is broken that I am not
> >> seeing ??
> >>
> >> This is with a fresh install of
> >> b20.1 full.exe
> >> cygwin-inst-19991201.tar.gz
> >> cygwin1-19991205.dll.gz
> >> binutils-2.9.4-cygb20.tar.gz
> >> gcc-2.95.2-cygb20.tar.gz
> >> gcc-2.95.2-dev-ss.tar.gz
> >> in that order
> >
> >The dev snapshots are for developers, and unless you're willing to
> >switch back and forth and find a stable one, you're on your own.
> >This is the usual caveat on using the nightly snapshots, which come
> >without *any* guarantee that it will even run!
>
> This is true, of course, but I'm not aware of any changes in the
> snapshots which will cause a file to erroneously report "Permission
> denied".

How about, you're on NT and you have badly constructed /etc/passwd and
/etc/group files?  I believe that ntsec is still turned on in the snapshots.
This could possibly give this error.

=====
Earnie Boyd < mailto:earnie_boyd@yahoo.com >
Cygwin Newbies, please visit