cygwin build of xemacs (-nw) and inetd/telnetd

David Starks-Browning starksb@ebi.ac.uk
Sun Feb 14 08:52:00 GMT 1999

Greetings,

This is submitted to both cygwin and xemacs-nt lists.

I just completed a cygwin B20.1 build of xemacs-21.0.63 on NT4/SP4.  I
am also using Sergey's remote package, providing inetd & telnetd.  The
goal of this effort is to run xemacs -nw in a (remote) telnet session.
GNU nt-emacs is known not to work under these circumstances.

Unfortunately, xemacs does not seem to be getting certain keystrokes,
namely DEL and C-g.  Is there something special that I must do for
these to work properly?

I have confirmed that info 2.18 (from GNU texinfo 3.12) sees ^G and
^? fine, by inspecting a dribble file.  This should rule out Sergey's
remote package (or my telnet client app) as the culprit.  On the other
hand, none of this is a problem when xemacs -nw is invoked in a local,
"cygnus.bat" shell with CMD.EXE.

No doubt there is much I don't understand about xemacs keys &
bindings.  In case it's relevant, I found this in the PROBLEMS file:

> *** You type Control-H (Backspace) expecting to delete characters.
>
> Emacs has traditionally used Control-H for help; unfortunately this
> interferes with its use as Backspace on TTY's.  One way to solve this
> problem is to put this in your .emacs:
>
>   (when (eq tty-erase-char ?\C-h)
>     (keyboard-translate ?\C-h ?\C-?)
>     (global-set-key "\M-?" 'help-command))
>
> This checks whether the TTY erase char is C-h, and if it is, makes
> Control-H (Backspace) work sensibly, and moves help to Meta-? (ESC ?).

It almost seems like this is already implemented:  after "stty erase ^H",
C-h generates "backspace", and after "stty erase ^?", C-h generates
help-command.  (Sorry, I probably have the terminology wrong.)
In both cases, neither ^? (\177) nor ^G (\007) seem to register with
xemacs.

Cygwin bash is my login shell per /etc/passwd, TERM=linux and
CYGWIN="tty binmode".  (~/.bash_profile execs a new bash after setting
CYGWIN.)  I've built xemacs with and without ncurses (4.12) with no
effect.

Anyone?

Thanks for your help.

Kind regards,
David

  David Starks-Browning                  | starksb@ebi.ac.uk
  EMBL Outstation --                     |
  The European Bioinformatics Institute  |
  Wellcome Trust Genome Campus           | tel: +44 (1223) 494 616
  Hinxton, Cambridge, CB10 1SD, UK       | fax: +44 (1223) 494 468