gdb failure

Mumit Khan khan@xraylith.wisc.EDU
Sat Feb 20 22:43:00 GMT 1999

Murli Ganeshan <murli@juno.com> writes:
> Here's a transcript of a gdb session while trying to debug an ACCESS
> VIOLATION bug.
>
> (gdb) br test1
> Breakpoint 1 at 0x402654
> (gdb) r
> Starting program: /c/MSDEV/Projects/hmwk3/exam.exe
> bff30000:/c/WINDOWS/SYSTEM/GDI32.DLL
> bff60000:/c/WINDOWS/SYSTEM/USER32.DLL
> bff70000:/c/WINDOWS/SYSTEM/KERNEL32.DLL
> bfed0000:/c/WINDOWS/SYSTEM/ADVAPI32.DLL
> 61000000:/c/CYGNUS/CYGWIN-B20/H-I586-CYGWIN32/BIN/CYGWIN1.DLL
>
> Breakpoint 1, 0x402654 in test1 ()
> (gdb) s
> Single stepping until exit from function test1__Fv,
> which has no line number information.

Try 1: compile with -g and see if you can debug it.
Try 2: There are bugs in the win32 version of gdb that disables stepping
into certain template instantiations. In this case, you may want to try
compiling with -ggdb (and perhaps -gstabs) and see if it helps.
Try 3: Mail me the code (the shortest possible piece that causes the
problem), and perhaps I'll get a chance to look at it.

Let me apologize on behalf of all who support win32 for the lack of
support in gdb for debugging template instantiations. We need to get
this fixed, but nobody has volunteered yet.

Regards,
Mumit