Behavior of 'dir' in Perl after Cygwin installed

Denis Haskin Denis.Haskin@bigfoot.com
Sun Jan 31 23:52:00 GMT 1999

[I've checked the FAQ and mailing list archives but can find no
explanation for this, so...]

I am on Windows NT 4.0, SP3.  I have Perl 5.005-02 on here (the MSWin32
version, I compiled it here myself with Visual C) and everything has
been hunky-dory (okay, mostly).

I installed Cygwin yesterday, since some of the things I need to do will
be greatly eased by having some of the common Unix utilities.

I am very perplexed as to why the behavior of the dir command, when
executed in a subprocess from Perl, has changed.

Yesterday, before installing Cygwin, when I ran the following perl
script:
    $ret = `dir`;
$ret contained the results of a DIR command as the NT command processor
executes it.

Now when I run that (after Cygwin installed), the same command results
in $ret getting the results of (sort of) Cygwin's ls command.

I am starting Perl from an NT command prompt, not from bash.

Is there a switch or something that controls this?  I tried getting rid
of MAKE_MODE=UNIX (even though that should not have affected this).

Can anyone provide any assistance?

Thanks very much,

dwh

-