b20.1: build question

Kevin Schnitzius kevins@citrix.com
Sun Jan 31 23:52:00 GMT 1999

Sorry.  I know better.  The thing is, I treat this list as a fall-back
to catch the stupid things I do.  I mean, everyone is building binaries
and my build failed -- what did I do wrong?

Anyway, I spent a couple hours trying to reproduce the problem and I
was unable to.  Let me reiterate: this time, following the same steps,
I could not recreate the problem.

Here are more details and repro steps from my notes:

1.  cd /cygwin
2.  ftp ftp.cygnus.com and get dev-src_tar.b2
3.  bunzip2 -c dev-src_tar.b2 | tar -xovf -
4.  mkdir obj
5.  cd obj
6.  ../src/configure --host=i586-pc-cygwin32 --prefix=/cygwin/install >
config.log 2>&1
7.  make > make.log 2>&1

At this point the make failed.  The error was:

configure: error: can not find install-sh or install.sh in .. ./..

This error was generated from the obj/i586-pc-cygwin32/newlib/configure
script.  I was
able to copy /cygwin/src/install-sh (as well as config.status and
config.guess) to
obj/i586-pc-cygwin32 and get newlib to configure and the make to complete
successfully.
The bad make.log was overwritten when I reissued the make.  However, I got
this failure
twice: after getting a successful make, I blew everything away and
reconfigured because
the new cygwin1.dll was causing problems interacting with the old one.  I
assumed that
this was a build problem.

There are two differences from when I got the original failures:
1.  I might have used ../install as the prefix.
2.  The failures occurred on console of a WinTSE machine.  The successes
were from a MetaFrame
	session.  There maybe some slight differences in the way the console
handler treats a
	remote session.

I will try again Monday from the console.

> >I'm currently seeing an access fault in fhandler_base::de_linearize()
> >but when I attach gdb, it doesn't show up.  Arrgh.  This looks like
> >maybe a stack problem.  Any one else run into this?  (NT4.0, B20.1
> >tools and src).
>
> That's a symptom of more than one cygwin1.dll on your system.  Just keep
> the latest one around.  cygcheck should tell you more about this.

Whoopee!  That's it.  See what I mean about doing stupid things?

Thanks,
Kevin
-