GCC VS gnuwin versions

Mumit Khan khan@xraylith.wisc.edu
Sun Jan 31 23:52:00 GMT 1999

"Bishop, David C" <David.Bishop2@PSS.Boeing.com> writes:
> Is there a place I can look to see which version of gcc relates to which vers
> ion of the Cygnus port?
> like: gcc 2.8.1 = XXX???

Sorry, there's no simple equation like that.

The current releases of GCC for Cygwin/Mingw/etc are not based on GCC2,
ie., FSF GCC 2.x.y, but rather on EGCS releases. I suggest you take a
look at http://egcs.cygnus.com/ for more information. The version you
currently see from Cygnus or from me are basically egcs-1.x + a few
patches to make life easier on Cygwin.

The only relationship is that egcs-1.1.1 includes all/most of gcc-2.8.1
and much more. The C++ front-end is quite different, and so are a few
other key features in the backend. It also integrates g77 as opposed to
an add-on for gcc-2.8.x.

The current rate of development on GCC2 branch is all but dead (yes, I
know there's some work going on, but not enough to be excited about it),
and there are rumours that GCC3, the next FSF release, will be based on
EGCS.

Regards,
Mumit

-