LS_COLORS operational? and info information cygwin B-20

Michael Hirmke mh@mike.franken.de
Sun Jan 31 23:52:00 GMT 1999

Hi,

[...]
>prompt> eval 'dircolors colors.nt'
>LS_COLORS='<lots of blurb>';
>export LS_COLORS
>
>But LS_COLORS is not actually set.  If I manually set the variable myself
>(export LS_COLORS='<lots of blurb>') then it works...

You have to source the script, so that the env var is added to your
actual shell. You are trying to change the environment of the calling
shell, which isn't possible in a Unix like environment.
So write the commands to .bashrc or some other script

>> > ------------------------< snip snip snip >-----------------------------
>> > eval `dircolors colours-for-ls.nt4`
>> > alias ls="ls --color=tty -F -T 0"
>> > ------------------------< snip snip snip >-----------------------------

and then call it with either

. ./.bashrc

or

source ./.bashrc

Bye.
Michael.
--
Michael Hirmke           | Telefon +49 (911) 557999
Georg-Strobel-Strasse 81 | FAX     +49 (911) 557664
-