inetd vs. TCP/IP, termcap: cygwin vs. linux, etc

Corinna Vinschen corinna.vinschen@cityweb.de
Sun Jan 31 23:52:00 GMT 1999

Christopher Murray wrote:
> a)  can the inetd daemon run alongside the WinNT TCP/IP services,
> without causing each any troubles?  Sergey suggests disabling TCP/IP
> because inted has the same functionality, but I am loathe to do that for
> fear of disrupting operation of Win32-specific networking programs

You misunderstood Sergey. He spoke about the special service "simple TCP/IP
services", not TCP/IP! Don't uninstall TCP/IP it's the definitely needed
low level protocol. Only uninstall "simple TCP/IP services" from the list
of services.

> c)  If I source a tcsh shell script that I wrote which uses grep, the first
> invocation of that script will yield the error that it can't find grep.exe,
> but if I immediately kill it and re-execute it right away, all is fine.  I
> source the script so that I don't need to hardwire the pathnames and .exe
> extension in my scripts.

Get the last patch of tcsh from
ftp://ftp.franken.de/pub/win32/develop/gnuwin32/cygwin32/porters/Vinschen_Corinna/B20

named
	tcsh-6.08.00.x.README
	tcsh-6.08.00.x.tar.gz

It handles .exe.