Case sensitivity in filenames

Peter Ring PRI@cddk.dk
Sun Jan 31 23:52:00 GMT 1999

For me, the most important improvement would be if I could control case
sensitivity per case.

For all source files that I create and control myself, case sensitivity
should follow Unix rules. But some source files (a lot, actually) are
created by Windows 95 users who couldn't care less; for those cases, I'd
like to be able, e.g., to specify case insensitivity in pattern rules in
gnu make and other tools that rely on regexp's.

Kind regards

Peter Ring

-----Original Message-----
From: Bernard Dautrevaux [ mailto:DAUTREVAUX@microprocess.com ]
Sent: Monday, January 11, 1999 18:06
To: 'cgf@cygnus.com'; gnu-win32@cygnus.com
Subject: RE: Case sensitivity in filenames

<snip>

I would favour some environment variable like GLOB_MODE=(unix,windows),
with the default being unix (for unix compatibility) that could be
tested by any tool using glob or regexp on filenames to select how to
match file names. These tools could also profitably allow some option to
change the default set by GLOB_MODE (or any better named environment
variable); for example find has "-name" that will use the default set by
GLOB_MODE, "-iname" which allways use case-independant globbing and
could aslo have "-dname" (d for dependant) for case-dependant globbing.

<snip>
-