Mingw32 egcs 1.1.1, GCC_EXEC_PREFIX and CreateProcess

Bernard Dautrevaux DAUTREVAUX@microprocess.com
Sun Jan 31 23:52:00 GMT 1999

CreateProcess does not fill anything! you must pass both the file name
and argv[0]... Note also there is various incompatibilities depending on
the system you're running on (3.x/95/98/NT) and the kind of exe you're
starting (16/32 bits). Even Micro$oft agrees it's clumsy and difficult
to understand... I think I've read that the best way when calling
CreateProcess is to pass a null pointer as the name of program file to
load and to put the full path-name in the argv[0] image.

HOWEVER, CreateProcess do not accept argv[], but an argument block where
you are expected to put all the arguments (space sparated, and quoted
with quite bizarre rules if they contain spaces or semicolons, and null
terminated), the environments (null separated A=b strings I think) as
well as information on the mapping of Windows file handles to C-run-time
files (to pass stdin/stdout/stderr for example)...

If you look at the spawnvpe source code in VC++ library source you'll
understand this is quite awkward (this is 3 or 4 source files summing up
more than 1000 lines I think...)

MORALITY: If you need to start any program use spawn, NOT CreateProcess
(and if possible use msvcrt.dll, NOT crtdll.dll, as the latter limits
the total size of the argument block, args + env, to 1024 bytes...).

> This is also useful for folks using IDEs such as Quincy or Vide
> with mingw or cygwin.

All depends on the method they use to start-up GCC: spawn or manually
calling CreateProcess... spawn() should work fine.

> Regards,

			Bernard

------
Bernard Dautrevaux