Case sensitivity in filenames

Fergus Henderson fjh@cs.mu.OZ.AU
Sun Jan 31 23:52:00 GMT 1999

On 07-Jan-1999, Earnie Boyd <earnie_boyd@yahoo.com> wrote:
> ---Corinna Vinschen <corinna.vinschen@cityweb.de> wrote:
> > Cygwin is a emulation layer, to support porting of UNIX Tools with a
> > minimum of change. This implies, that the emulation layer should behave
> > as near to UNIX as it's possible.
> >
> > If somebody want's tools with the user interface, but not with the
> > other features of UNIXish interface, he/she should use _native_ ports.
> > Lot of them exist. Why demanding this of cygwin, which is designed for
> > another goal?
>
> I agree with Corinna.
> IMO, the fix would be to not allow MyFile.java not match myfile.java
> when being specific.  This would be more UNIX like.

I agree with this.  The default behaviour should be as Unix-like as possible.
However, don't forget that the goal is *porting* Unix tools.
A proper port to Windows will be case-insensitive as far as file-names
are concerned, because that is what Windows users expect.
Therefore, there should be a simple way of enabling case-insensitivity.

> There
> are workarounds to the problems of case sensitivity such as setting
> the appropriate switches for bash as has been reported already.  Or
> using the -iname switch in find instead of -name.  Or doing ls
> *.[jJ][aA][vV][aA] to find all cases of this file name.

Those work-arounds are better than a kick in the teeth, but it
would be much better if there was a *single* environment variable setting
that would cause *all* tools to treat file names in a case-insensitive
manner.  The `ls *.[jJ][aA][vV][aA]' work-around is unacceptably cumbersome,
and while bash, readline, and find all have work-arounds that are OK
in isolation, I think it would be much better to have a single work-around
rather than one per tool.

--
Fergus Henderson <fjh@cs.mu.oz.au>  |  "Binaries may die
WWW: < http://www.cs.mu.oz.au/~fjh >  |   but source code lives forever"