optimization

Mumit Khan khan@xraylith.wisc.edu
Mon Jul 12 12:18:00 GMT 1999

"Reza Habib" <reza@psych.utoronto.ca> writes:
> Hi.  Can someone tell me how well the code generated by borland c++builder,
> microsoft visual c++, and metrowerks codewarrior (and any other windows
> compilers) compares to the code generated by egcs-1.1.2 with respect to
> floating point performance (my main development platform is windows).  I'm
> in the process of writing some statistical tools for image analysis.  My
> data are in floating point and I will mainly be conducting matrix algebra
> type operations.  I'm trying to pick the compiler which will produce the
> fastest,  most efficient code.  Thanks.

For floating point intensive code, MSVC is hard to beat at this time. However,
for majority of the `real-life' numerical code, it doesn't matter all that much
as long as the compiler codegen performance is reasonably close.

For more info on compilers on x86-win32, please take the discussion elsewhere
such as comp.os.ms-windows.programmer.win32 or other compiler forums; this list
is certainly not the right forum for it.

Regards,
Mumit