@at and a/w notations

PositivePi@aol.com PositivePi@aol.com
Fri Jul 16 20:35:00 GMT 1999

Hi..

  This is probably something that I'm supposed to know, but... What is the
purpose of the @at and A/W notations in function names in .def's?
  For example, wsock32.def:
EXPORTS
EnumProtocolsA@12
EnumProtocolsW@12
GetAddressByNameA@40
GetAddressByNameW@40
GetNameByTypeA@12
GetNameByTypeW@12
-snip-
1) What does the @12 do?  If you remove it and create a new library without
it, it will not link.  What adds this notation?  I don't see anything in the
Windows32/Sockets.h header file that would change socket to socket@12.  Also,
if I'm creating my own .def's, how do I figure out what the value to put
after the @ is?
2) Why do some functions (but not all) have a pair with the A and W suffixes,
even though theres only one function?  What adds this?  If I'm writing my own
.def's, how do I know which functions need this?

I realize this is probably a newbie question, but I can't find a FAQ that
mentions anything about it.. =\

Aaron