Gnu license

Kevin.Hughes@icl.com Kevin.Hughes@icl.com
Fri Jun 11 01:10:00 GMT 1999

I hate to start this thread again, especially as it is off topic, but I am a
little concerned about a possible fiddle to software released under the gnu
license which removes the advantage of it.

As I understand it if software incorporates ANY GNU licensed code then that
software must be released under the GNU license. Now if I fiddle the source
so that it uses my internal tools in order to be built - say a special
version of the GNU compilers or a macro processor - and I NEVER release
those tools then the released source is next to useless.

An example of this would be to encode my source and use an internal tool to
decode it prior to compilation. In this way releasing my source would not
give anything away.

I DO NOT WANT TO DO THIS, I however believe that this may happen as some
released sources cannot be used to build the binary.

Any comments much appreciated

Kevin