"read" bug

Arnaud Bouis abouis@cr2a-di.fr
Fri Jun 18 05:11:00 GMT 1999

Earnie Boyd a écrit :

> > Looks like there's a bug with the read() function in the Cygwin lib.

> > It always returns "-1" with a "Permission denied" error code,
whatever
> > file I try it upon.
> >
> > (Unless I am misusing it somehow...can someone try it ?)
> >

> Supply an example, and the environment you're using.  (WinNT SP3,
Win95 OSR1,
> etc)

ok. The environment is WinNT SP4. Here is the failing code :

------------------
char    chaine[50];
int        fd2;
int        res;

fd2 = open("C:/temp/toto.txt", O_RDONLY, 0);
 printf("\n--- test de read() ---\n");
 strcpy(chaine, "");
 res = read(fd2, chaine, 10);
 if (res == -1) perror("erreur sur read");
 fprintf(stdout, "%d octets ont ete lus par read()\n", res);
 printf("chaine = %s\n", chaine);

Note that file c`\temp\toto.txt exists and is a regular ASCII text file.

read always returns -1.

Arnaud