How to handle variables (data, etc.) in DLLs?

T J Harding tjh@quadstone.com
Thu Mar 4 01:32:00 GMT 1999

DJ Delorie wrote:

> DLLs *can't* export "data".  They can only export pointers to data,
> which is what they do.  In older gccs, you'll need to do something
> like this:
>
> extern int *__imp_foo;
> #define foo (*__imp_foo)
>
> In newer gccs, do something like this:
>
> extern int foo __attribute__((dllimport));
>
> These tell gcc to dereference the imported pointer, rather than
> thinking it's the data itself.

Thanks, that's useful to know (although there are about 250 of these
data symbols in the code!).  I'd need to brush up on my C++ (yes, this
is actually C++ code) to figure out what's required.

Tim
begin:vcard
n:Harding;Tim
tel;cell:+44 961 444986
tel;fax:+44 131 220 4492
tel;work:+44 131 220 4491
x-mozilla-html:TRUE
url:www.quadstone.com
org:Quadstone
adr:;;16 Chester Street;Edinburgh;Scotland;EH3 7RA;United Kingdom
version:2.1
email;internet:tjh@quadstone.com
title:Decisionhouse Services
x-mozilla-cpt:;-1080