Compiled executable differences between 9x and NT

Jonathan Pryor jonpryor@vt.edu
Mon Mar 8 06:21:00 GMT 1999

(I would try to look this up on the web page, but
I'm having trouble connecting to cygnus.com at the
moment...)

What are the *exact* differences between 95 and NT,
as far as the cygwin environment and compiler are
concerned?

I would normally assume that if I stick with the
strict ANSI stuff (console I/O), limited to the
extent so that MSVC can also compile it (no great
reliance on the posix api's), that I should be able
to compile an executable on both 95 and NT and have
it behave the same on both.

Unfortunately, I have a program for which this isn't
happening.  Under NT, it runs as expected in all
cases.  Under 95, it's currently causing
a "blue screen" with cygwin egcs-1.1.1, and causes
a "This progam has performed an illegal operation
and will be shut down." message under mingw32.

I get these errors if the executable was compiled
and run under 95, or if the executable was compiled
under NT but run under 95.  (The same executable --
compiled under either 95 or NT -- runs fine under
NT.)

As a note, it compiles and runs fine with MSVC6.

Any thoughts as to what could be causing the problem?
Is there anything that is known to break 95 while
working under NT?

Thanks,
 - Jon

(Yes, I probably should try to get the whole source
available, but I'm in the process of trying to clean
it up for public distribution, so it may be awhile...)