sed and umlaut characters

Bernhard Bruemmer bbruemmer@email.uni-kiel.de
Thu Mar 11 06:44:00 GMT 1999

Hello,
I have a problem using sed to replace umlaut characters in a text
file. sed works as expected except for capital Ä (ascii 0196) and
capital Ü (ascii 0220). These two characters remain unchanged. I
am using Cygwin B20.1, and bash displays umlaut characters
correctly (although I could't issue the relevant settings in ~./inputrc
but had to set them via bind in ~./bashrc). The sed command line
looks like

sed -e s/Ä/Ä/g foo.html

I have played around with several quoting variants as well as with
echo -e "\304" as first argument to the s command, but with no
results.

I'd be grateful for any suggestions,
Regards,
Bernhard Bruemmer