Please help with make

Timothy Reaves treaves@localhost.localdomain
Thu Mar 11 12:07:00 GMT 1999

I have the following line in my .bashrc file.

alias ptj='ptjavac -g -d /dev/classes -classpath $CLASSPATH'

ptjavac is a replacement for javac, with the bug that it cannot properly read the classpath env. var.  That is why it has the -classpath setting.  This app is a windows app, not unix.  The alias allows me to type 'pjt User.java' and all goes well.  However, it fails when called from make.

Here is my Makefile:
# Command to call for compiling a Java source file
PTJAVAC=ptjavac
# Options to pass with a call to $(PTJAVAC); here, an extra
# directory for class file output should be used.
PTJAVACOPTS=-g -d $(CLASSDIR) -classpath $(CLASSPATH)

User : User.java
	$(PTJAVAC) $(PTJAVACOPTS) User.java

This fails with errors that ptjavac can not find classes, so it is not actually getting the classpath passed in properly.

What am I doing wrong?

Thanks.