Reading physical disks.

Serguei DACHIAN Serguei.Dachian@univ-lemans.fr
Mon Mar 22 06:53:00 GMT 1999

At 01:56 22/03/99 +0100, Corinna Vinschen wrote:
> You will find a patched version of b20.1, supporting raw access to
> partitions, hard drives and tapes on
> The newer snapshots of winsup (since winsup-990130, I think) contain this
> patch, too. Nevertheless, you should download the forementioned README for a
> short description of the features.

I got and installed the DLL, include files (which were with DLL) and also
your version of mount utility.  I can't still read my floppy (without
speaking about hard drives).  Here is my bash session:

/temp $ uname -a
CYGWIN_98-4.10 PCDASH 21.0 (0.7/1/1) 1999-1-14 19:19:56 i586 unknown

/temp $ mount
Device               Directory               Type        Flags
\\.\b:               /dev/fd1                RAW         -----b-
\\.\a:               /dev/fd0                RAW         -----b-
C:                   /                       FAT32       ---c-tu

/temp $ ls /dev/fd0
ls: /dev/fd0: No such file or directory

/temp $ dd if=/dev/fd0 of=boot.bin bs=512 count=1
dd: /dev/fd0: No such file or directory

The floppies were mounted with:
> mount -b //./a: /dev/fd0
and
> mount -b //./b: /dev/fd1
The floppy was inside the drive a during the bash session.  My system is
Win98 and CygWin B20.1 + your mount and your dll.

Am I missing something ???

Best regards,
                Serguei.

P.S.  Your readme say that some feateres are for NT only.  Does it mean that
i will not be able to read /dev/fd0 and/or /dev/hda ???
Serguei DACHIAN
Laboratoire de Statistique et Processus,
Universite du Maine, Av. Olivier Messiaen
72085 Le Mans CEDEX 9, FRANCE
Tel.   : +33 (0)2 43 83 37 18
Fax.   : +33 (0)2 43 83 35 79
E-mail : Serguei.Dachian@univ-lemans.fr