B20: mv deletes files on error (NT)
David Dagon
david.dagon@mindspring.com
Sat Mar 27 13:43:00 GMT 1999
Hi,
I had a group of files that started with capital letters. I moved
them to a new directory, and bash renamed them to lower case
letters. No matter, I thought, I'll just rename them. That's
when I noticed the files were being deleted by bash:
bash-2.02$ ls
abstracttree.java node.java binarytree.java
splaytree.java treetype.java
bash-2.02$ mv abstracttree.java Abstracttree.java
mv: cannot move `abstracttree.java' to `Abstracttree.java': No such file
or directory
bash-2.02$ ls
binarytree.java splaytree.java treetype.java
node.java
bash-2.02$ rename node.java Node.java
bash: rename: command not found
bash-2.02$ mv node.java Node.java
mv: cannot move `node.java' to `Node.java': No such file or directory
bash-2.02$ ls
binarytree.java splaytree.java treetype.java
Is this a bug? If this behavior is my failure to set some variable, it
seems to be a very dangerous trap to new users.
Cheers,
David Dagon
david.dagon@mindspring.com
--
Want to unsubscribe from this list?
Send a message to cygwin-unsubscribe@sourceware.cygnus.com
More information about the Cygwin
mailing list