B20: mv deletes files on error (NT)

David Dagon david.dagon@mindspring.com
Sat Mar 27 13:43:00 GMT 1999

Hi,
  I had a group of files that started with capital letters.  I moved
them to a new directory, and bash renamed them to lower case
letters.  No matter, I thought, I'll just rename them.  That's
when I noticed the files were being deleted by bash:

bash-2.02$ ls
abstracttree.java  node.java  binarytree.java
splaytree.java     treetype.java

bash-2.02$ mv abstracttree.java Abstracttree.java
mv: cannot move `abstracttree.java' to `Abstracttree.java': No such file
or directory

bash-2.02$ ls
binarytree.java  splaytree.java   treetype.java
node.java

bash-2.02$ rename node.java Node.java
bash: rename: command not found

bash-2.02$ mv node.java Node.java
mv: cannot move `node.java' to `Node.java': No such file or directory

bash-2.02$ ls
binarytree.java  splaytree.java   treetype.java

Is this a bug?  If this behavior is my failure to set some variable, it
seems to be a very dangerous trap to new users.

Cheers,

David Dagon
david.dagon@mindspring.com