PATH problems with perl and make for shell commands.

Jeff Sabat sabat@pmpro.com
Tue Mar 30 15:21:00 GMT 1999

I'm running cygwin B20 on NT.

In perl, if I try to get the output from a shell command (ie. `date`)
the program blocks waiting for me to press ENTER.  After I hit ENTER,
execution continues and I get the correct results.  If I use the full
path (ie. `d:\<cygdir>\bin\date.exe`), the program does not block and I
get the correct results. But, using the full path appears to prevent me
from piping the output.

I get the same blocking behavior when trying to use the shell command in
make (ie. FOO = $(shell date)).

Can anyone help me with this?  What causes the blocking before the path
is evaluated?

Thanks,

Jeff Sabat