[ANN] Cygwin DEV survey

Suhaib M. Siddiqi Ssiddiqi@InspirePharm.Com
Wed Mar 31 19:45:00 GMT 1999

-

>Hello DJ, you wrote:
>>> If recompiling support is limited, then you'll immediately be
>>> violating the GPL (according to DJ Delorie).
>>The GPL says that you have to have enouch sources to rebuild the apps.
>>It doesn't require that the person who gave you the sources help you
>>figure out how to do it.
>So the question is how limited 'very limited' is if Stipe writes it.
>--

Stipe was mentioning to RED HAT style CDROMs.  On a Red Hat Linux System,
you can basically extract the source RPM and recompile the software without
any troubles.  They supply all the Makefiles preconfigured to recompile and
produce the same binaries which are on the binary CDROM distribution.  If
that is what exactly GPL requires then I think Cygwin CD should follow same
rules and should not have any kind of limitations on recompilation of source
code.

-SMS