Again about physical disks.

Serguei DACHIAN Serguei.Dachian@univ-lemans.fr
Wed Mar 31 19:45:00 GMT 1999

At 20:43 23/03/99 -0700, Rick Rankin wrote:
> Here's a short code sample for accessing the physical media id on Win9x from
> cygwin. The same mechanisms can be used to perform physical I/O. Much of
> this was taken from the documentation that comes with VC++ 6. It compiles
> and works fine with gcc.

Thanks for the code, but unfortunately this is NOT what I need.  The
discussion is about accessing PHYSICAL drives, e.g. a  first hard drive in
your PC, i.e le /dev/hda.  While your code can access only a:, c:, d:, etc.,
that is, a partition or a floppy, but not a physical harddisk.  MS says that
his methods (CreateFile and DeviceIOControl) fails in the case of physical
harddisks on  Win9x, and my experience confirm this.

Regards,
                Serguei.
Serguei DACHIAN
Laboratoire de Statistique et Processus,
Universite du Maine, Av. Olivier Messiaen
72085 Le Mans CEDEX 9, FRANCE
Tel.   : +33 (0)2 43 83 37 18
Fax.   : +33 (0)2 43 83 35 79
E-mail : Serguei.Dachian@univ-lemans.fr