how many X11R6 distributions ?

Charles Wilson cwilson@ece.gatech.edu
Sat May 22 00:03:00 GMT 1999

Samy Alex ZAIMI wrote:

> Hello everyone,
> I have found at least the following four X11R6.4
> packages for cygwin B20 :
>
> 1. 'B20.X11R6.4.tar' by Arlindo da Silva

http://dao.gsfc.nasa.gov/software/grads/win32/X11R6.4/  from Arlindo
da Silva includes basic X11R6.4 libs/dlls, various extra libraries
(libXaw3d, etc)basic Xclients like xterm and rxvt, big xclients like
fvwm2,
lesstiff, and lots of html-formatted man pages.

> 2. 'X11R6.4-b20-0.1.tar' by Andy Piper

ftp://ftp.xemacs.org/pub/xemacs/aux/cygwin-b20-x11.tar.bz2 from Andy
Piper includes basic X11R6.4 libs/dlls and various extra libraries.

> 3. 'X11R6.4-cygwinb20.tar' by Sergey Okhapkin

http://miracle.geol.msu.ru/sos/  (can't find exact URL right now)
from Sergey Okhapkin includes only the basic X11R6.4 libs/dlls. Andy's
and Arlindo's ports were based on his work.

> 4. 'x11r6.4-cygwin-b20.1.tar' by Suhaib Siddiqi

>From Dr. Siddiqi's webpage: This archive contanis X11R6.4, LessTif
0.88.1
libraries, and a few extra Widgets like Xarm, Xbae,  and ViewKit etc.
The
size of the archive in tar.gz (compressed) format is approx. 19 MB.

> Well, for me this is too much and I cannot make my
> mind on a particular one.
> Was there on the archives a discussion about it ?
> More generally speaking, what is the difference
> between one distribution and another ?
> Could the authors answer me ?
> Would it be possible to classify these packages
> with stars (e.g. **** or so for the most complete)
> ?
>
> Personally, I downloads at first package number 1,
> only because there was an HTML file attached that
> explained me everything for that package.

<snip>

I configured my system before Suhaib published his port, and I used
a combination of stuff from both Arlindo's distribution and Sergey's
distribution. Along with Andy's /usr/local distro.

I can't, however, make a recommendation because I have not
tried all four distros. FWIW, my frankenstein combination works
fine.

--Chuck